Sugar Free Banana and Apple Loaf
If you are reading this on my site then you will see that The Wee Scottish Whisk has a new look. The blog has just celebrated its first birthday and I thought that it was time for a bit of a revamp, both in terms of look and navigation. I have been collecting some reader feedback and I have decided to focus my recipe development more on healthy meals, and quick weeknight options this year. You can expect to see some new pages appearing on the site in the coming weeks with some added features too. So watch this space!
I am continuing to avoid sugar which, to be honest with you, is really really difficult! For the things that I cook at home, it is manageable but it is really limiting when eating out. I had a client lunch today and they took me for dim sum, I absolutely love dim sum so normally I would be really happy about this, but it soon dawned on me that every dish contained sugar in some form with all the sauces and fillings. It ended up being a bit awkward and I left lunch still feeling very hungry!
At home, however, I am enjoying the challenge of making everything sugar free and I have to tell you that I was really pleased with how this banana loaf turned out. It is only sweetened with fruit, and is gluten and dairy free. It is moist and flavoursome, and perfect for breakfast or for a mid-afternoon snack.
6 Medjool dates, pitted
80g Coconut oil, melted
2 Large very ripe bananas, mashed
2 Apples, both peeled and cored, 1 grated and 1 cut into 1cm cubes
2 Eggs, beaten
100g Ground almonds
150g Chickpea flour
1 Tsp Baking powder
1/2 Tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1 Tsp Ground cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Ground ginger
Pinch of salt
50g Walnuts, chopped, plus a few extra to decorate
Some seeds to decorate
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees centigrade. Oil and line a 23 cm x 13 cm loaf tin.
- Place the dates in a bowl and cover with boiling water, leave to one side for 5 minutes until really soft. Drain the dates and place in a food processor with the coconut oil. Blitz for a few minutes to combine.
- Transfer the date and oil mixture to a mixing bowl and stir in the mashed banana. Fold in the grated apple, and then the eggs until well combined.
- Fold in the ground almonds. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt and then fold into the wet mixture.
- Finally, fold in the cubed apple and chopped walnuts, and scrape the mixture into your loaf tin. Top with a few walnuts and some seeds.
- Place the loaf tin in the centre of the oven and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes in the tin before removing to a cooling rack until completely cold.
- Delicious served on it's own or if feeling a little indulgent then spread a slice with some butter.