Easy Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Lentil Stew
I don't know about you, but I love a good batch cooking recipe. Anything that can be cooked in bulk and batched up for the freezer is an absolute winner in my book. I find that weeks go so much more smoothly in our house if I have had a chance to do food prep and some batch cooking at the weekend. I whipped up a big batch of this stew at the weekend knowing that some could go in the freezer for future use, it could quickly be heated up at different times throughout the week to accommodate different dinner timings, and I could also take some to work for my packed lunch. WINNER! To add a bit of variety serve it different ways, it's great with some quinoa, some rice, served as a side with a grilled chicken breast, or even just on its own with a chunk of crusty bread.
This makes a big batch and will easily serve 6 - 8 people
2 Tbsp olive oil, for frying
1 Onion, diced
2 Cloves of garlic, crushed
2 Tins of Chopped tomatoes
2 Tbsp Tomato puree
500ml Vegetable stock
1 1/2 Tsp of Smoked paprika
1 Heaped Tsp Ground cumin
2 Carrots, peeled and chopped
2 Large orange sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 Courgette, chopped
1 Tin of Chickpeas
150g Dried red lentils
- Heat the oil in a large pan or casserole. Fry the onion for 5 minutes, add the garlic and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and spices. Stir well to combine, bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, chickpeas and carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the red lentils and the vegetable stock, stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chooped courgette and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender and the lentils are cooked.
- Stir in the spinach until wilted. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with rice, quinoa, crusty bread or as a side with some chicken.