Corn and Carrot Fritters
Never. Enough. Hours. In. The. Day! Do you feel the same? I am the queen of trying to do too much, I know that about myself but I don't think I am every likely to change. I suppose I have always been a bit of an overachiever and a perfectionist, and in my adult life that has definitely translated into me being someone who finds it very hard to stop and just relax. I love to be busy, which I think is a good thing, but sometimes I do worry that I spend so much time rushing onto the next task on my list that I don't ever really stop and enjoy the present. This has become all the more apparent since I had my daughter because, I know that everyone tells you this, but children really do grow so fast! I do feel that I need to try and spend more time just hanging out with her and savoring the precious moments when she still thinks that I am the coolest person to hang out with.
With time being so precious I am always looking for fast, healthy dinner options for during the week. I try where possible to cook and prep as much as I can at the weekend, but that isn't always possible. There is only so much that you can cram into two days after all!! So often there need to be some quick weeknight creations. Fritters have become increasingly popular in our house of late, and these corn ones are definitely Little Whisk's favourite.
Makes about 12
3 Corn, cooked and kernels removed
3 Carrots, grated
3 Eggs, beaten
40g Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 Tsp chili flakes
1 Large clove garlic, crushed
1 Small red onion, finely chopped
3 Tbsp plain flour
Juice of 1 lime
Oil for frying, I used coconut oil
- This recipe really is so simple! Put everything into a large bowl and mix well to combine.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan.
- Using a dessert spoon place the mixture into the pan and use the back of the spoon to shape into round patties. I used a heaped dessert spoon for each. You will find that they are quite wet and don't hold together that well but as they cook they will solidify.
- Cook on a medium heat for 5-10 minutes on each side or until cooked through and golden brown and crisp on the outside.
- Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice and some salad. I made a very simple sauce with some shop bought chili sauce and mayo. They are also great served with tzatziki, recipe here.